Saturday, August 17, 2013

Romus Popus Poopus

Romus Popus Poopus

We went Vatican. I disliked it, strongly. When we first went in, I had to make eye contact with the ticketman  to prove I was a kid. I guess I kind of understood it, but it still irked me that the Church itself expected its visitors to stoop so low. To make the feeling worse we were swarmed by security all the time, and they always looked like they thought we would strike out and kill them, I mean, come on. Later we went to the art gallery, where christian art, art that was made by artist who strongly believed in their faith, was displayed. I can't tell you for sure, but I am fairly certain that those men would prefer to have their creations in a holy place, a place where the art could do what it was meant to do, inspire belief. After, we walked through other gallery kind of things. The art displayed there, just... just floored me. They were beautiful pieces of art, don't get me wrong. But, the art was Pagan. Sculptures of Jupiter, Hercules, Mother Nature and all other kind of things. Now, do you really think the Pagans would have appreciated their sacred artwork to be displayed in the center of the religion that exiled and killed them? The ones who told them that their beliefs were a farce.  Don't get me wrong, the Pagans did major wrongs on the Catholics centuries ago, but no one can correct a wrong with a wrong. The Catholic religions basic grounds are based on forgiveness, so why are the Pagan's memories not receiving that basic respect. Plus most of those statues had been defiled, the ancient ruins changed to cover up the statues' private parts. Really, can't we all be a little more mature and not have to give Hercules leaf undies?  Plus, if the Pagans wanted to sculpture their Heroes and Gods nude, then let the darn statues stay loose. *Cough awkwardly* anyway, the tour group finally moved into the Sistine Chapel, which truly was breathtaking. No matter what religion or how serous your beliefs are there is no way that one can not appreciate the Michael Angelo Fresco's. This was one of the rooms I did not feel like punching someone, except maybe I wanted to a little bit, because of the crowds, but that is besides the point. After this the group strolled over to St. Peter's. It also was breathtaking... except I could not help thinking about  a... well... couple details. One) tons of beautiful marble covered the place, Marble mainly from ancient temples and monuments (think colosseum). I mean first they take the Pagans statues and then rip apart their temples and use it for their own place of religious worship. Tell me that is not hypocritical, come on. Two) there was a beautiful altar whatever there, one made from melted down metal from none other then Pagan built structure. Need I say more. Not to say I'm against recycling. I'm not and I think the world doesn't understand, sometimes how serious that is, but no recycling ancient artifacts. Bad, bad, move. To tell you the truth I find the whole shinannagin (don't, and never will know how to spell that *sigh*) kind of childish. Anyway we left and saw the guys in the funny suits and got gelato. So, not an entire loss in the trip. Wow, I sound way to mature in this (I am not a hypocrite). So to keep this light, poop. Your mind is blown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment